How the "Pregnant Female Protagonist" is the New "Jumping the Shark"

My favorite cartoon that is still running (Archer) took a bad turn on it's season finale last year.  The main female character got pregnant.  The reason I don't like this isn't anything against women getting pregnant, but multifold.

First, a pregnant private sector TEC-9 toting spy should not be running around on dangerous missions while she's carrying.  Second, the whole Archer cast is without children and single.  They are able to not only take on dangerous missions, but with no child-rearing obligations, they can pursue equally dangerous and haphazard-prone social lives.  Third, I think it's a play to a female demographic that once again, like "The Replacement Killers," ruins an otherwise good action show.

But my primary reason for not liking Lana getting pregnant is that it telepaths to me that the show might be ending.

Allow me to explain.

Fast and Furious 5, Paul Walker and Vin Diesel are running around Brazil trying to avoid a politician's hit squad.  In the middle of flight Paul Walker's girlfriend (the actress of which I have a Jennifer-Aniston-equse soft spot for) stops both of them in the middle of their escape and says,

"I'm pregnant."

Not that the F&F franchise was that great to begin with, but the F&F6 seeming so ludicrous, Paul Walker's unfortunately demise would not have been the only thing to mercifully end the series.

Another example - Control Alt Delete.  The comic.

I was an AVID fan.  It was hilarious, funny, cute, and entertaining.

Then the girlfriend of the hero got pregnant.  Things got emotional, and you know something, I checked out.  That was about 5 years ago and I haven't read the comic since.  I wanted to read a comic about nerdy tech geek humor, not a soap opera.

"Friends" anyone?  How many of those women got pregnant?  Fifi or Bibi?  Didn't Amy or Pipsi get pregnant too?  Sorry, I obviously didn't watch the show too much, but I do know that some women got pregnant and then the show ended.

The point I'm trying to make is that I think I have found a new replacement for when Fonzi jumped the shark.  It's when the female lead character gets pregnant.

Naturally I hope this is not the case with Archer, but if previous "leading females getting pregnant" is any kind of proxy, it usually means the show is about to come to an end.

Regardless, the people at Fox better make sure this isn't the last season of Archer.

And for god's sake, will somebody resurrect "Venture Brothers?"  That show had limitless potential.
You have just read the article entitled How the "Pregnant Female Protagonist" is the New "Jumping the Shark". Please read the article from Captain Sushil Kumar About https://captainsushilkumar.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-female-protagonist-is-new-shark.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Captain Sushil Kumar