The Comeback of Smoking Jackets and Ascots

Being a minimalist I very rarely spoil myself.  This is not only because of limited funds, but because I have achieved an economic "nirvana" of sorts where I no longer desire fancy items.  I no longer "envy" people's fancy cars, and I have the vision and economic understanding that me sleeping in till 11AM is the better deal than the "successful" executive slaving away 60 hours a week and suffering a commute.

However, as an incentive to work on AND FINISH various projects and goals I set for myself, I do reward myself with the rare and occasional luxury.  This time, it was to get a high end smoking jacket and ascot upon finishing Bachelor Pad Economics:


While normally used as a stereo-type in media or a parody of Hugh Hefner, I have to admit the smoking jacket and ascot is absolutely, 100% worth the money.  Not just because of the fashion or "shock value" should you wear it in public, but it is incredibly comfortable and cozy.  You can wear it out, but you can also wear it indoors.  But understand it also makes three (potentially four) very clear statements:

1.  I am successful.  Maybe not financially successful, but happy as to where I am in life.
2.  I am a bachelor.  There is no wife telling me I can or cannot wear this thing.  I am in command and do what I want.
3.  I am classy. 

and should you choose to wear it out:

4.  I am ballsy enough to wear this in public.

Because of this I believe a smoking jacket with matching ascot IS A MUST FOR ALL MEN. Bachelor or not.  You not only deserve the fine silk threads and the class it conveys upon you, but you cannot leave this planet without at least experiencing your very own smoking jacket and ascot.

But before you decide on a get up, you need to know your options.

First, there are "two types" of smoking jacket.  The one above is technically not a smoking jacket.  It is a bathrobe that Hugh Hefner has popularized and made acceptable to be worn in public.  The other type is a felt or velvet smoking jacket that is designed for actual smoking:



















Second, you need to choose an ascot that matches the jacket.  This is no different than choosing a tie and they are tied in a similar fashion to a regular tie.

Third, you need some kind of tobacco.  I prefer cigars, but you may also want to go uber classy and get a pipe. If you don't smoke, a martini glass or a snifter of scotch will suffice.

Finally, a hat.  I wanted desperately to get a fez, but fez's are VERY hard to come by.  I went to the most exclusive men's clothing store in the midwest to get my jacket (Heimie's Haberdashery) and they informed me that while they used to sell them, the last distributor in the US closed down.  You now need to go to London to get an authentic fez.

All in all you can expect to drop $1,000-$1,200 on a decent get up.

While the price is steep, I am convinced this is a mandatory purchase for most men.  Certainly, college students may not be able to afford such a purchase, but the sooner you get this into your inventory the better.
You have just read the article entitled The Comeback of Smoking Jackets and Ascots. Please read the article from Captain Sushil Kumar About http://captainsushilkumar.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-comeback-of-smoking-jackets-and.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Captain Sushil Kumar